Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Pinhole Photography







Pinhole photography is something that I've been interested in for a long time, but have never spent much time reseaching or practicing. I made my first working pinhole camera about 10 years ago from an oatmeal box and using photographic paper. My recent attempts have been associated with my physics classes. Two weeks ago, my two physics students and I made cameras. I had them do as much as their own work as possible. They made their own pinholes, we tried to determine the diameter and focal lengths, then tried take some pictures.

These images came from a camera with a pinhole diameter of about 0.3mm and a focal length of 5cm. I used Kodak 110, ASA 400 film. The shutter was heavy black paper hinged with scotch tape. All 24 frames had an image. These aren't perfect images but this camera has been my most successful to date.

No comments: