Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Historic Day



I don't follow American politics much these days, but though I primarily teach science, I thought it important to allow my students to watch the United States of America swear in its new President, Barack Obama. I really wanted them to witness a peaceful transition of power as opposed to the violence and repression that Chavez in implementing here in Venezuela.

After some experimenting, I found that MSNBC had the most reliable streaming coverage (its my default news page anyway). I hooked my laptop up to the video beam projector and let the students see history in the making.

As an American ex-pat, I felt Obama's speech was pretty good. He said what had to be said; America needs to unify and rebuilt, stay strong and regain the world status it enjoyed in the past [before President G. W. Bush].
I got teary-eyed a few times mainly because I am proud of my country, and proud to be an American, but also I was proud of (most) of my students who seemed to take a genuine interest in the events we watched on the Internet.

I hope our new President does the right things and I hope and believe he will be good for the United States, and for the world.

1 comment:

Small Adventures said...

I deeply agree with your veiws,here Mims. We can only support,and pray for our new Commander-in-Cheif!

I think it was cool of you to share it with your students,kudos!

Steve