Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Coincidence or Something Else?

On Friday I got word that my grandmother had died. I wasn't surprised. I had been preparing myself mentally for this for a while.

Around 3:00 local time I got a phone call from my sister giving me the news. I asked what time did Grandmother die? About 11:45 MST. That puts it at 2:15 Venezuela Standard Time.

I asked for the time of death because I wanted to see if there was some kind of "message" from my grandmother.

Do you know what I was doing at that exact moment of 2:15? A few minutes before 2:15, I was showing my 5th and 6th grade science class a PowerPoint presentation on weathering and erosion. Around 2:13, I opened the file on my laptop from Christmas 2007 because there were some photos of the Mississippi River in there and I wanted them to see the meandering features of the river. BTW, I was watching the clock because the students were scheduled to go back to their regular classroom at 2:15.


We never got to those photos, instead, as I was scrolling through the photos, my students, mostly girls, saw the icon pictures of my grandmother and asked who it was. I stopped and opened the pictures and we looked at my grandmother for a few minutes. I told them she was 101 years old. They were in awe.

We then looked at photos of the rest of my family that I had taken that Christmas morning in 2007; my mom when she was crying because she opened a gift she wanted, my younger sister who made the phone call to me, my mom's husband who was close to my grandmother. It was all connected somewhat.

The little girls in my class were amazed looking at my grandmother. I'd like to think it is because my grandmother was always one of them, a sophisticated little girl deep inside.

I guess scientifically/psychologically you could say, I've been preoccupied with my grandmother's condition, I opened the file subconsciously. Or was it something else? Was it a way of my grandmother contacting me, giving me her final send off? I am not sure, but I'd like to think so.

This is the third time weird stuff like this has happened when a family member died. At least two mysterious things; almost unexplainable things associated with my dad's death, and now this.

I try to think of myself as a science person. Things that are explained supernaturally are written off as pseudo-science. Perhaps...or perhaps we haven't found a way of measuring certain things (energies??) yet. I want to believe in String Theory and how everything is connected. I would like to think we are all connected and that the connections between family members is greater since we share DNA.

I've experienced some really strange things in my life...way more strange that looking photos at a certain time. That being said...I am going to believe that my grandmother was sending me her final good-bye to me though the eyes of my 10-year old girl students.

No comments: