Sunday, February 01, 2009

Surprise Extra Day Off!

A view from my living room window (a few months back)

Sundays are a drag for me. That means I have to get ready to leave Tania and my cool little condo on the beach and head back to El Tigre were I work. I don't mind working in El Tigre, in fact, its a pretty good gig, but the commute on Sunday and Friday are long and somewhat brutal, and potentially dangerous. Where I live is a nice part of the country; full of beaches, the ferry terminal to Margarita Island, coastal mountains, and so on. Where I now work is 180 km (110 miles) inland and is an oil town. There is not much going on there...not even a movie theater.

I've been carpooling with another teacher also from Lecheria. We swap cars week to week. Some weeks I drive my little Kia Rio, and sometimes we take his Jeep Gran Cherokee. Dan's Cherokee has been in the shop for the last month, so I was going to take the Rio this week (my car was in the shop last week because it needed new rear wheel bearings...Venezuelan roads are brutal, full of potholes...hard on a little car). I drive to Dan's to pick him up and while I am visiting with his mother, I get a phone call from my boss. No school tomorrow. Chavez has declared February 2 a national holiday, 10 years of his "revolution". Whatever he says...

Anyway, back home, relaxing with Tania. Its nice to be here instead of El Tigre, at least for another day.

No comments: