Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Katy Trail, Day 2






Aug. 2, 2008...We got off to a late start. We rolled out around 9:30 or 10:00. It was already hot.

We rolled along the trail. Kevin and I stopped on a bridged and watched the less muddy water of the creek mix with the muddy water of the Missouri. It provided us several minutes of entertainment.

I was riding ahead and met up with Brandon. We were about 2 miles or so from the Jefferson City terminal. Brandon was pulling a Burley bike trailer. It was like the Grapes of Wrath with all sorts of stuff in it.

I eventually got ahead. There was a section of trail that wasn't so fun. I think it was from Jefferson City to Tebbetts. This section was trail was exposed to the sun and close to a major U.S. Highway. The sound of the traffic just bothered me. The sun didn't bother me so much, but I would have much preferred to be under the canopy of trees.

When I got to Tebbetts, there was no water. I had two more bottles so I wasn't that concerned. I rode over to Jim's Bar and bought a Gatorade out of the vending machine and waited for the other guys. When they showed, we tried to buy water at the little convience store, but it was closed, so it was back to Jim's place.

Jim was a good ole' boy. He let us have water, but Kevin had to draw him a picture. Funny guy.

We continued down the trail, and there was no water in Mokane or Portland. Some where in this part of the trail was the "Mysterious Standing Rock". It was a pretty cool to check out.

After Portland, I went ahead at my own pace. The Univega was just motoring along. I blasted through Rhineland in the fading light. There were a few potholes and washed out sections that I didn't see in the fading light, but the bike kept going with no flats and stable as could be. I decided I ought to put on my helmet for the next 5 mile section to McKittrick. It got really dark and I was just kept riding by following the light colored gravel.

At McKittrick, I had a chance to look at the stars while waiting for the others. When the others showed, we rode over the bridge into Hermann, MO and eventually found the campground...but no food. Everything was closed. Brandon and I bought stuff and sandwiches at the gas station that we took back to camp and ate.