Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Flow State


I had the strangest bike ride yesterday. I was riding with a friend (a newbie), a guy I work with. This morning I told him something like this..."I don't remember our ride from the point just after passing the Corsa till we reached the exit of the tree tunnel. What happened there?"

He was surprised! "You don't remember?", he asked. "We were racing! You were spinning out on your single speed. I looked over at you and your legs were spinning really fast. I was getting tired trying to keep up. We slowed down at the tree tunnel."

I have been riding my Merlin SS (single speed) exclusively for a month now. My Merlin is old (as far as mtn bikes go), a 1996 frame. Its fully rigid (no suspension) and its like an old friend. It fits me like a glove. I converted this bike to single speed about a year ago.

More and more I seem to be reaching this flow state which did happen before, but now it happens very often on this old single speed. This was the first time it happened while riding with someone else (I think). Usually I am alone when it happens. It is a trip! I don't know if its the bike since being a single speed, I don't have to think about shifting and so on.

Does this happen to anyone else?

No comments: