Thursday, September 27, 2007

More on Single Speeding


Boy howdy, now every time I ride the Merlin, I just get all spacey and zoned out. I come back from a ride feeling euphoric and happy, but there are chunks of the ride I can't account for. Certain parts of my latest rides are just total blanks. It is really strange. This used to happen every so often, but now it’s almost an every ride event.

I don't know if this is because the bike is so familiar and now so simple I don't have to think about anything. No anticipating a gear change or anything...its just pedaling. Now I think I am seeing the true appeal of single speeding.

Another aspect of single speeding is the weight of the bike. The Merlin probably weighs less than 22 lbs. I think it weighs about 20 lbs now. It is feathery light…less than 10% of my body weight. It is so fun! I did an out-and-back section yesterday, and when I turned the bike around, just lifting it up between my legs and doing a 180, it was incredibly light feeling. It is fun to flick the bike around. I can easily make the rear end fishtail around a bit.

Lots of fun for sure!

No comments: